We understand the importance of sustainability and preserving our environment, so we have implemented some procedures to reduce our impact on the environment. Read more about the initiatives we are putting into practice here from the general running of our building to the daily maintenance and operations within the hotel.
We have almost completed the accreditation process with Green Tourism. They operate a certification programme which recognises the commitment of tourism businesses who are actively working to become more sustainable. Their environmental assessors work with us to give professional advice on areas such as:
- Reducing energy use
- Saving water
- Efficient & eco-friendly waste disposal
- Ethical buying
- Staying local & seasonal
- Minimising food miles
- Promoting biodiversity
- Secondary glazing on our windows.
- Key cards in bedroom for electricity saving.
- In order to preserve energy, we turn down the heating in corridors when they are not in use.
- During quiet periods, we close off floors to reduce energy usage.
- We have a heat pump installed in our waterfall to provide air cooling in our rooms and self-catering apartments.
We select our suppliers locally, if possible, to reduce the transportation distance. Our suppliers are chosen based on a number of factors, including sustainability goals, local instead of national and of course quality.
Over 50% of our suppliers are local including:
- Skeaghanore West Cork Farm (duck)
- Twomey’s Butchers (meat)
- Ballycotton Seafood
- Kilbrack Farm
- Bushby’s Strawberries
- Tim McCarthy’s Meat
- Ballyhoura mushrooms
- Waterfall Farm
We liaise with some local schools and the Transition Year programme to provide work experience programmes for them.
During the Covid-19 lockdowns, we offered accommodation to HSE staff.
- We operate the bike to work scheme for all employees.
- We encourage team members to lead an active life, cycling or walking and/or taking public transport.
- Most of our team members live within walking distance of our hotel and commute by foot/bike.
- We have a bike rack for storage.
- We actively encourage our guests to use public transport and explore the city on foot where possible.
We encourage guests to be as environmentally friendly as possible when staying with us so we offer stayover guests the opportunity to reuse towels.
We encourage paperless as much as possible especially in billing.
- We have implemented a strict waste sorting policy. We recycle glass, cardboard, paper and recyclable plastics.
- Reception and Restaurant no longer print reservations to reduce paper usage.
- Our Housekeeping team are trained to ensure electricity items are off in bedrooms.
Growing Our Own
We grow our own herbs for the kitchen.
We have an abundance of flora both inside and outside the building.
Currently in the process of recruiting a Green Ambassador to champion our new green policies throughout the building.
This Green Ambassador will participate in the 50 Shades Greener Government Funded programme.
The Green Ambassador will undertake a course in Environmental Sustainability in the Workplace and implement a variety of energy reducing initiatives throughout the building.